Today, I’m thrilled to be sharing my first blog post at the Exclusive Travel Partners blog! Head over and read my tips on ways to save money for your Disney vacation AND how you can save money while AT Disney! Click here to get to the blog post!
Recently I’ve shared several tips for Saving for a Disney Vacation. Today I’m sharing a tip for saving money while AT Disney! One thing our family has done several times is purchased gift certificates from restaurant.com prior to our vacation. If you are diligent enough, you can find $25 gift certificates for $10 a piece for restaurants on Disney property! All you have to do is enter zip code 32830 and search for restaurants on property. Consider purchasing 2 $25 gift certificates for only $20! What a saving!
You do need to be familiar with restaurants on property if you want to stay on property for all your meals. We have used gift certificates for House of Blues at Downtown Disney twice. We almost purchased certificates for the character meal at Garden Grove at the Swan and Dolphin. If you have your own car or a rental car and can travel off Disney property, you can find some other fun, close restaurants with discount gift certificates.
Here are some other Disney saving ideas:
Since you’ve been following all the ideas for “Saving for Disney” you need somewhere to stash all this money you’re saving! Consider opening a 360 Checking Account through Capital One (formerly ING Direct). When you open your account you’ll get a $50 bonus deposited into your account! Here are the details from their web site:
- Open 360 Checking and make a total of 3 Card purchases or Person2Person Payments (or any combo of the 2) within 45 days of account opening.
- Your $50 bonus will automatically be deposited into your account on day 50.
- No fees & no minimums
- Access to 38,000 free Allpoint® ATMs
- Deposit checks from anywhere with our mobile app or from a computer
Since this week included “Tax Day” on April 15, it’s only fitting that our “Saving for Disney” tip is to put all or part of your tax return in to a special account for your next Disney vacation. This tip is only good for those who will receive a tax return! 🙂
I have many “go to” or “must have” web sites when planning my Walt Disney World vacations. I could literally spend ALL day bouncing from Disney web site to web site reading about trip reports, restaurant reviews, Disney news, saving strategies, tricks and tips, crafts and more.
Here are just a few of my favorite, Must Have, Disney web sites, in no particular order:
- The Magical Blogorail. This is a group of Disney bloggers who join together to share thoughts on a specific Disney topic. When they aren’t participating in a Blogorail Loop, they all have fabulous blogs all sharing their unique love of Disney.
- Disney Parks Blog (and all of Disney’s Site) This is really a no brainer! If anyone loves Disney, they are most likely familiar with the Disney web site. The Disney Parks Blog has great info about the history of Disney, food, attractions, current happenings, special events and more.
- Your First Visit While this is written for the first time WDW visitor, I still visit this site when planning my trips! He has fabulous information about park crowds, when to visit, where to stay, how long to stay and more. I suggest this site to anyone going for a first or ninety-first visit!
- Walt Disney World News Exactly what the site’s name says- WDW News. You can learn all types of things about Walt Disney World travel, parks, vacation planning, upcoming events, facts, videos, photos and more.
- The Mouse For Less This site is full of great news and information about WDW, Disneyland, Disney Cruises and special savings.
- All Ears All Ears is one of my go to sites! She has great info about Disney past and present. Recipes, travel reports, hotel information, planning and so much more.
- MouseSavers This site offers amazing ways to save money on planning your Disney vacations. If you want to take a Disney vacation without spending a ton of money, this is your site!
- WDWMagic You can find Walt Disney World news, info, videos, photos, reviews and even join in on discussions on the forums.
- Easy WDW This is a another planning site to help you with your vacation. You can find information about when to go, where to stay and crowds.
While I have not been so lucky in years past, I will pass on a tip that may help you save for a Disney trip! When you are at Walt Disney World, sign up for the Disney Vacation Club (DVC) presentation. If you choose to attend the roughly 3 hour presentation, you will learn about DVC, meet with a sales associate, see the DVC property, and gain information about the pricing- plus transportation to and from the presentation is provided. You’ll also get free ice cream at the end. While the ice cream is a good treat, there have been other incentives in the past to get people to the presentation. Those incentives have included free Fastpasses to attractions or Disney Gift Cards!
When you arrive at your WDW resort, ask the DVC cast member if there are any incentives for seeing the presentation and taking the tour. You never know… you may earn a $100 Disney Gift Card to be used on the current trip or to be saved for a future trip!
Some people take a percentage of their paycheck each month to put in a 401K, an IRA, or another retirement plan. Others use a percentage to pay child support or insurance. Others use a percentage to pay off loans or debts. If you don’t ever “see” the money, you don’t have it to spend, right?
How about taking a percentage of your paycheck each month and adding it to a savings account just for Disney? When making your family’s monthly budget, take out your necessities: bills, expenses, tithe, etc. Then look at what is left. Take a percentage of that and add it to your account each month. Or take it out of your check first thing, head to Target and purchase a Disney Gift Card with your Red Card! 🙂
One way I like to try to save money for Disney trips is by entering Disney blog giveaways for Disney gift cards! If you have the time you can find all sorts of giveaways on different blogs for these gift cards. You can try a google search for “Disney Gift Card Giveaway” or search twitter for #disneygiftcard. If you have a “blogroll” on your web site, you can see when a friend posts about giveaways. Chip and Co is another resource that often has Disney giveaways that may consist of a gift card. There are also incentives from many travel agents that include gift cards.
In addition to entering to win gift cards, you can enter to win a vacation to a Disney destination! While I haven’t won yet, I keep entering! My friend Bruce has a great web site where he keeps a running list of current Disney Contests and Sweepstakes. Pixie Vacations is another source that has frequent contests and giveaways.
So, best of luck to all of you who are trying to win a Disney Gift Card or a Disney Vacation! 🙂