Splash Mountain is one of my favorite rides at Walt Disney World. This attraction is located in Frontierland beside Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. Splash Mountain opened July 17, 1992, and the Official Dedication was held October 2. This ride is a very unique ride that uses over 100 animatronics who sing and tell the story of Br’er Rabbit during the “dark ride” portion of the ride, it includes the thrills of a 5 story drop, it’s a flume ride that’s approximately 1/2 mile long that WILL get you wet, and is 11 minutes long!
This attraction is based on the 1946 Disney classic “Song of the South.” The story is about Br’er Rabbit leaving his briar patch home looking for adventure while trying to escape from and outwit Br’er Bear and Br’er Fox and ultimately finding his laughing place. Throughout this ride you’ll hear the following songs:
- “Ev’rybody’s Got a Laughing Place”
- “How Do You Do?”
- While this ride is perfect for families with children, tweens, teens, and adults, you do have to be 40 inches tall to ride.
- Parents can use the “rider switch” option for families who have children too short or too scared to ride.
- This attraction is on my “must do” list each time I visit Magic Kingdom! Make plans accordingly: head straight there as you enter the park or plan for a FastPass+.
- This attraction is typically closed during January or February for refurbishment. Check refurbishment schedules prior to your trip to see if this will be an option for your family.
- You WILL get wet on this ride, no doubt! If you sit in the front, expect to get soaked. If you are in the back you may get sprayed, but you will get wet. Some people wear ponchos on this ride to try to stay as dry as possible.
- This is a great ride for a hot day in Florida to help cool you off. In winter or cool evenings, however, you may be chilly after exiting this ride
- Expectant mothers, those with heart conditions, motion sickness, and back or neck problems should not ride.
- Guests in wheelchairs must be able to transfer to the log boats in order to ride this attraction.
- Just before you head down the final drop, your photo will be taken! You can view and purchase your photo at the exit.
- There is a play place, in the shade, near the queue to this ride. If you have younger children who can’t ride, this is a great place to hang out while the rest of your party enjoys this attraction.