Every fall, my friend Deb from Focused on the Magic hosts a Virtual Food & Wine Festival. This year, she is unable to host, but I’m still participating! I love the idea of sharing recipes from around the world. Several years ago I shared my great grandmother’s spaghetti sauce recipe from Italy. This year, I found a great recipe from the 2004 Epcot Food & Wine Festival on All Ears. It’s a flourless chocolate & hazelnut cake recipe from Piemonte, Italy!
Flourless Chocolate & Hazelnut Cake
Yield: 6 servings
7 oz. semi-sweet chocolate, melted
1/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup butter
1/2 cup finely chopped hazelnuts
1/4 cup cocoa
1. Preheat oven to 220F and butter a 9-inch round cake pan.
2. Melt the chocolate and butter together and stir in the hazelnuts.
3. In a large bowl, beat the sugar and eggs together until fluffy. Fold chocolate and butter mixture into the eggs and blend just until all the ingredients are well-blended.
4. Pour into the prepared pan and bake for approximately 40 minutes or until the center is firm to the touch.
5. Allow to cool at room temperature and then refrigerate overnight.
6. To serve, unmold the cake and sprinkle the top with cocoa.
This cake was delicious! It reminded me of a brownie because of it’s density. It was not a typical cake texture. It’s very filling and rich. It’s a must for any chocoholic, like myself! 🙂