The Walt Disney World Railroad opened on October 1, 1971 when Walt Disney World opened. This 1 1/2 mile, 20 minute train ride will take all guests, old and young, around the Magic Kingdom with stops at Main Street USA, Frontierland and Fantasyland (formerly Mickey’s Toontown Fair). There are 4 trains running: Walter E. Disney, Lilly Belle (named for Walt’s wife), Roy O. Disney (Walt’s brother), and Roger E. Broggie (a Disney Imagineer who shared Walt’s love for antique trains). The trains arrive every 4-10 minutes. The line is rarely long, but you’ll find the shortest lines in Frontierland. This railroad is one of the busiest steam-powered railroads, as it carries over 1.5 million guests a year.
- Melissa at disneyonwheels.com shares an excellent review showing the Walt Disney World Railroad as a wheelchair accessible attraction!
- Strollers are permitted on the railroad.
- When parades are happening, the train is the best way to reach the exit without dealing with crowds down Main Street USA.
- The trains do not run while fireworks are being shown.
- For first time guests, the Walt Disney World Railroad is a great way to get your bearing straight and become acquainted with all the lands of the Magic Kingdom.