Welcome to those of you joining me from Walt Disney World: Not Just for Kids and those of you just hopping aboard. I am the 2nd stop on our Magical Blogorail.
I am so happy to share with you one of my favorite things to do at Walt Disney World during the Christmas season. A few years ago, I shared with you the history of The Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights at Disney’s Hollywood Studios on the Streets of America. Today, I’m going to share some tips for viewing The Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights so you can enjoy it to it’s fullest!
- Arrive early if you want to see the “flipping of the light switch” to turn on the Osborne lights. Usually around 6:00pm, the lights will be turned on. A lucky family may be chosen to turn on the lights and some Disney characters may make an appearance to help with this task!
If you don’t like crowds, don’t arrive for the “flipping of the light switch!” This area of the park can get very crowded during the holidays. If you want to see the lights with fewer crowds, try visiting while Fantasmic! is showing.
If you plan to see Fantasmic! and you want to see the lights with fewer crowds, head to the lights after Fantasmic! The park will stay open for about an hour after the official park closing. This way you can see the lights and hopefully get some great photos of the lights without as many people!
- Purchase “Glow with the Show” ears for $25 to be a part of the show. New in 2013, these Mickey Ears will blink and light up in sync with the music!
- The imagineers who help create this amazing display always hide some Mickey’s in the lights. Keep your eye’s open for some creative “Hidden Mickey’s” in the lights.
- In 1995, when Disney was unpacking the Christmas lights from the Osborne family, a cat made of lights from the previous Halloween made it’s way into the light box. The imagineers decided to keep it in the display and move it around each year for guests to try to find! Be on the lookout for the Halloween cat. (It is a side view of the cat arching his back!)
- If you arrive to see the lights and there is no Christmas music playing, stick around! Every 10 minutes, the lights will dance in sync to the music. The songs you will hear are:
- Jingle Bells by Barbra Streisand
- Feliz Navidad by Jose Feliciano
- A Mad Russian’s Christmas by Trans-Siberian Orchestra
- Christmas Eve/Sarajevo 12/24 by Trans-Siberian Orchestra
- Parade of the Wooden Soldiers by Arthur Fiedler and the Boston Pops
- Christmas Is Starting Now by Big Bad Voodoo Daddy
- I’m Gettin’ Nuttin’ for Christmas by the Plain White T’s
- Winter Wonderland arranged by Dan Stamper
- Another fun feature of The Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights is the snow! Even if it’s 80 degrees outside, Disney will make it snow from time to time on the Streets of America! If you want to experience the snow, hang out a while and see if it starts “snowing” from the rooftops!
Thank you for joining me today. Your next stop on the Magical Blogorail Loop is Disney Living.