While the power was out last week from Wednesday night to Sunday morning, I had a lot of time to just think. I thought a lot about what our family experienced on Wednesday night, April 27 and these are a few of the things I learned during the tornado.
Find the safest spot in your house as your safe spot. If you have a basement, that’s your best bet (besides a storm shelter). If you don’t have a basement, find the most interior spot in your house with no outside walls or windows. If your bathroom is interior and doesn’t have windows, use it and hide in the bathtub for extra protection- especially if the tub is cast iron.
- All family members need to wear sturdy shoes (in case you are hit and need to evacuate the house)
- Have all personal items with you: medicines, proper id (if you are hit and you leave your property, you can’t reenter your neighborhood without ID- to prevent the bad guys from looting and stealing what you have left), valuables (wedding rings, etc), car keys, wallet with money, ATM card and credit cards, cell phones and chargers. I keep ours in a backpack on my back.
- If you have kids consider having a backpack or bag with toys, books, distractions while in your safe spot. Glow sticks are another nice thing to have. They are small and produce a good bit of light in pitch dark.
- Bottled water/ juice for each member of the family
- Diapers and wipes and formula if you have a baby.
- Nonperishable snacks: granola bars, nuts, raisins, PB crackers, etc.
- Candles/ matches/ lighter
- Radio with batteries, or a weather radio that cranks
- I’m so thankful for all my friends who called, texted, emailed, facebooked and tweeted that they were thinking of us and praying for us.
- I’m very thankful for my Magical Blogorail friends for working around me! We were supposed to have a special loop on Friday about events at Walt Disney World but without power I could not participate. They were nice enough to postpone our loop until my power was on and I could finish my post!
- I’m thankful for my mom logging onto my blog over the phone to unscheduled my post for the Magical Blogorail loop that wasn’t finished!
- I’m very thankful for my brief stint of an interest in camping! Because of this, I had a Coleman Propane Camping Stove in the attic that we could use to cook canned food over while the power was out.
- I’m thankful to Couponing to Disney for teaching me to stockpile groceries!! We’ve been eating off my stockpile since I was planning on going shopping the day the tornado hit!
- Thankful for my travel box! We used the “baby flashlights” for Cman to hold during the power outage and used the glow sticks as nightlights in the rooms while we slept. The Winnie the Pooh card games were handy as were the handheld electronic games.
- Most of all, I’m thankful that our home was not damaged in the storms. I feel very guilty for being thankful for this when there is so much devastation all around. Please pray for everyone affected by these storms. Spring isn’t over. I pray that we won’t have more tornadoes while we recover from these.